Monday, December 20, 2010

Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky


Swans is a monster of a band, producing some of the most raw, eviscerating music since the band's inception in 1982. Frontman Michael Gira disbanded the group in 1997 after releasing a vast amount of music and tweaking the band's sound on several of their releases. The band's early releases were slow, heavy and raw, song's often dragged on while Gira grotesquely moaned and shouted best seen on either Public Castration Is A Good Idea or Filth. Eventually Jarboe would join Swans alongside Gira and proceed to evolve the group's sound further.

Alright, I'm going to stop giving you guys and gals the history of Swan's as if going to google isn't as easy as just twitching your fingers. The band has a fairly interesting history as they continue to evolve, reform and assault the eardrums of many innocent boys and girls who's worlds are no longer delightfully sugar-coated. Before I continue though, check out this Swans song.


In my experience a lot of people actually laugh at this song. But I think that's because let's face it, it does sound a little ridiculous. But after a listen or two I started to really appreciate it and beauty of the lyrics.

Michael Gira really writes fantastic lyrics. I remember an instance in which I listened to this song a few times in a row to hear what Gira had to say. Anyway, I dare you (double-dog) to listen to this song several times in a row and try not to feel at least a little manic-depressive. There is not much music out there with the ability to do that.

Well now I think you get the idea that I really like Swans. But you're probably asking, "why would anyone want to feel MaNiC-DePrEsSiVe listening to music?!" Well here's my theory - that's because it's art, it's supposed to make you feel something in return for giving it your attention. So I ask the reader (if there are any of you reading this catastrophe of a post) to take some of your time to appreciate the beauty of Swans.

The record I uploaded is a great start for a Swans newcomer. It's much more accessible than their older material but still holds on to that gold-old fashioned Swans charm of turning your frown well...back into a frown. As you work backwards into their catalog, one of the first thoughts that may cross your mind is "Holy shit." because as I've mentioned earlier, it is raw and it's almost intimidating to listen to. However some of Swans' 90s releases aren't as heavy and will not convince your grandmother you're summoning Satan. I highly recommend downloading White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity. I'll give you a link for that record as well.



http://www.mediafire.com/?5zl41n16yy9bn6g - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i1b7epgy2bixbwz - White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity

3 comments:

  1. white light is incredible. kind of a dorky observation, but man is that album well-produced. have you heard cop? that's probably their bleakest studio album

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, cop is great. I've got a ton of their material in a random fashion because it seems they've released so much (according to last.fm) so I don't even know what to continue on with

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only kinda weak album of theirs is Burning World. Soundtracks For The Blind is pretty difficult to sit through, too

    ReplyDelete