Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Punch - s/t

Here's another review pillaged from my shite olde blog since it caters to 0% of it's rinky-dink audience. The writing is kinda doofy, but hey, I'll say the same exact thing about this intro after a few months pass. I'm thinking it's a good time now to stop aspiring to look back upon my words and find them to be indispensable parts of a complex and spine-tingling body of work.

"Punch is a fantastically fresh and tear-ass'ing youth crew damaged powerviolence (or "fastcore" if you want to spat about it) unit with a collective straight-edge and vegan mandate that doesn't really fucking matter because as is the case with most hardcore, the lyrics are smothered to intelligibility by the Nah, I kid, we're all good enough sports to have the lyric sheets tattooed on the inside of our eyelids. Ooh, but there is a song about bikes:
RIGHT OF WAY
Always thought that one is one, but I guess that’s not the case, because now I know two does not equal four wheels. Better step aside- where you’re going is not as important as where they’re headed.
Unless it's metaphorical. The music ist fucking krieg, though. Quite a few bands in this niche sacrifice technicality and songcraft for adrenaline-OD'ing frenzies, but Punch is way leaner than the pack, with bursts of melody amongst the frenetic blasts and intelligently structured vocal delivery, replete with tasteful "crew" shout-outs. Lastly, vocalist Meghan's impassioned, top-of-the-lungs, screaming is god-tier quality and makes me yearn to hear more "goils" (as Peter "The Corpse" Steele may have said) pick up the mic for this brand of intense hardcore. I was planning on seeing them in New Yawk Shitty, but my friends ended up bailing or something and adding to the canon of grim memories on getting lost at the subway was too much to bear."
Get it here.
Then get it here.
Also, I was kidding before. The lyrics are quite good.

EDIT: oops, looks like you can't actually "get it here" anymore. You CAN pick up a neat t-shirt or their excellent sophomore LP there, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment