Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Iron Lung - Sexless/No Sex

This could end up being an unusually short review for me. I'm just starting it a few minutes shy of 10:30 and need to be up and peppy tomorrow morning for work in the ol' produce mines. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, but sometimes you just have to risk being groggy at the crack 'o dawn for Iron Lung's sake. Consisting solely of a drummer/vocalist and guitarist/vocalist, I'm tempted to label them as a "dynamic duo"; I have self-respect though, so let's just settle on "awesome 2-piece powerviolence band" instead. They're also from Washington and formed in '99. These aren't particularly interesting facts, but I usually like to squeeze in a little background info in these reviews. Use it wisely.

Iron Lung are a really obvious choice when picking a musical unit that's truly more than the sum of it's parts, as it's literally mindblowing that just two guys could create an album that sounds as heavy, pummeling, and enveloping as the one to your left. Sexless/No Sex is the band's third full length (unless Cold Storage is a compilation), and as far as I'm concerned, the best thing they've ever done. In the past, the band focused primarily on the ultra-high speed aspects of powerviolence, but like Weekend Nachos, the past few years have shown the band heaping on more and more elements of sludge. Being a huge fan of Dystopia and especially Man Is The Bastard, it was really exciting to hear one of my favorite bands taking up this particular torch, especially with a guitar tone this great. It almost sounds like it was tuned for one of those annoying "mathcore" bands with a quadrillion different confusing time signatures packed into every song (but in a non-incriminating or annoying way. I'm a shitty writer) :

Sexless/No Sex features 20 tracks in only 21 minutes, but there's not a note out of place or any reason not to flip this back to the A-side once "Cancer" ends. I'm not Mr.Knows-Shit-About-Competent-Musicianship, but I've probably listened to this album a gazillion times since it came out and have yet to locate a sour moment. The vocal trade offs are great, and the way the band careens back and fourth from crushing sludge to blasts of manic hardcore is like a party in my ears that I'm inviting you to through illegal downloading:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wyjg0tdt0nv
I still hate my worthless husk for missing these guys' performance at Maryland Deathfest.

Also: whuddyaknow, that wasn't very short at all. Of course, now it's almost midnight and I should've been in bed a while ago. Dicks.

2 comments:

  1. Like yer new blog.
    Like flowers growing in a garbage can.
    I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i couldn't continue to maintain the other one - way too difficult to keep detailing such abstract sorts of music in a way anyone would wanna read.

    ReplyDelete