Monday, November 22, 2010

A Brief Repose...

Call me conservative, but I pine for the 90's punk sound. You know, fairly cheap recordings, raspy vocals, and shitty instrumentation.

I'm a pretty generic dude. I still listen to albums I grew up with religiously and as far as new music goes, I more or less look for bands that sound like stuff I already listen to. Usually these are albums that I overlooked during my youth, but on the rare occasion you will find a great new album. Although it's nice to see people exploring the sonic, aural possibilities of punk rock like Fucked Up or No Age, it's even nicer to see that some things haven't changed. Ben Weasel is still a doucher, making fun of Jawbreaker fans is still really easy, and the Lawrence Arms still crank out good tunes somehow. So it's only natural that there are some bands out there who aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. Unfortunately, the new Social Distortion dosen't look too promising, Bad Religion is still using the same drum pattern from 1995, and American Steel shat the bed on their last album. So what do? Well until a punk committee is formed that legislates and swiftly distributes wholesale assbeatings to lackluster bands, I'd like to use my tenure and soapbox on this blog to wade through all the crap for you, my friend, and spotlight some new up and coming punk bands, hailing from all over the US of A and the rest of the world. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment