Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ACXDC - He Had It Coming

I'm on a "KUH-RAY-ZEE" powerviolence trip right now (as someone I would dislike might say) since I'm trying to slap together a nice lil' introductory zine. If you come here for the pop-punk, I apologize, but its delivery will be a bit diluted for the time being. Ha, what am I saying, you don't "come here".

I wonder how long it'll be before the intentional self-deprecating humor will be called out as narcissistic.

This might be one of the stupidest band names I've ever encountered or one of the gutsiest. ACXDC (aka Anti-Christ Demon-Core) are a 4-piece from Southern California who did an initial run from '03-'05, called it quits after a reunion show in '06, and then reformed in 2010 much to my loins' approval. Covering their first EP right after Neanderthal was kind of a last second decision, as I had originally intended to do the genre history lesson in semi-chronological order. Unfortunately, this here came up and changed my plans:
So hey, it's topical AND heartrending. Of course, it should go without saying that ACXDC are a great band and the guilt trip I'm imploring you to land in is just circumstantial. Anywho, He Had It Coming is some super intense stuff, floating in the beautiful medium betwixt grindcore and powerviolence. For a glorious 10 minutes, you get mercilessly cockstomped by a wall of high velocity riffing, shrieking, and blasting. Does comparing the listening experience to genital mutilation make you want to listen to this? A lot of reviewers of this sort of music seem to think so, and I am incapable of differentiating myself from them. Bullshit aside, this is a ton of fun. The vocals are utterly unintelligible, inhuman shrieks punctuated tastefully with rumbling death/grind growls that fly at you near constantly ala Rupture. Musically, you get a surprisingly tight and well-produced blast of tight, varied drumming, riffs alternating between chaotic shredding and mid-t0-sludge paced interludes, and even a brief nod to Star Wars. It's the kind of shit best listened to in an empty bedroom without a lot of breakables for you to collide with.
This is currently OOP, but you can still support these guys with merch and whatnot. For example, I would buy the shit out of that skate deck with the Darth Vader heads if I could actually stand on a board without immediately concussing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wqbv2lyfjki
http://acxdc.bigcartel.com/

As a totally irrelevant sidenote, Sylvester Staline is terrible. I just rediscovered this courtesy of youtube. I made the mistake of picking up their lame-as-fuck-but-amusingly-titled Gonna Spread Hard Drugs To Your Stupid Kids With The Royalties Generated By This CD album back in high school. This is the kind of shit people dismiss powerviolence over: sloppy playing, terrible vocals, and way too many lame inside jokes.
Oh, hey, and here's another pro-tip for starting a powerviolence group: don't name your band Duke Nukem Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment