Sunday, January 23, 2011

Assfactor 4 - s/t

I'm not sure why I'm so adamant about meeting the ten post quota every month. It's certainly not a mandate established to improve my writing skills to prepare for a journalism career (especially since all grammatical non-errors I make are purely incidental). I guess SOME THINGS WE JUST GOTTA ACCEPT HURRR.

I fucking hate venting to people who just accept the injustices you present instead of getting angry about them with you or even TRYING to grasp it. I realize they might be equally futile approaches to conversation, but goddamn is it depressing to hear someone just aurally shrug at you when you're inviting them up on your soapbox.

Anyway, Assfactor 4 were a band and they released music and shit. I like them. Which is obvious because I'm posting them here.
Right here in fact:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x0twwqllzw2
I kinda wanna let it alone right there.
I'm really tired.
But the train of lucrative endeavorin' must keep on chooglin' into uninformative oblivion. So. I've already done the boring spiel about moving from the completely inaccessible (grind, PV, crust, death metal, etc...) to the comparatively friendly (old school emo, indie rock, pop punk, ska, etc...) to boomeranging back to utterly uncompromising (free jazz, electro acoustic, power electronics, japanoise, etc...) like, a zillion times already, so let's move past that. Assfactor 4 are probably one of my favorite hardcore bands ever, and acted kind of like a bridge from the emo island I inhabited to the fruitful lands of hardcore punk and melodic hardcore. They formed somewhere in 1992, after the dissolution of both Tonka and Unherd (both pretty great bands in their own right), released two EPs and this full length before getting voted the "Coolest Band To Hang Out With" by Heartattackzine in '95 and calling it quits in '97. They also came out with a slightly less good, but still enjoyable, posthumous LP in 2000 called Sports, parodying Huey Lewis And The News' similarly titled album in more ways than the title.

Due to their place in history, vocal style, and melodious riffing, these guys were lumped in tightly with the fourfa.com denoted "hardcore emo" crew, including Angel Hair, Antioch ItalicArrow, John Henry West, Mohinder, the vastly underrated and totally amazing Second Story Window, and of course, Heroin. While all of those bands were cut from a similar cloth and used a lot of discordance and chaos in their music, Assfactor 4 was more obviously from a hardcore punk background than a second-wave emo one, and were a whole lot less dissonant. Instead, they focused on delivering short, really memorable, songs built around super catchy melodic riffage, and righteous dual (triple?) vocal assaults. Best of all, the band never ends up repeating itself or getting too "samey" throughout the 18 tracks in 23 minutes, perfectly mixing the poppy with the darker.
Also, I just realized that pretty much every non-hardcore initiated person on the planet would find it hilarious that I'm impressed a band could write 23 minutes of music without repeating themselves.
Phat phuckin' jams to form an imaginary circle pit in your bedroom include: "Dorothy", "I Reckon", "This Shit Is For The Birds", "Can't Fight The Feeling", and of course, "Burger-Rock".
this would be where the link would be if I hadn't already posted it
Enjoy. Also, since this took two days to write, I was not actually tired throughout most of it like I originally claimed. Awright.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favourite hardcore bands ever. i actually like Sports best, it benefits from a decent recording and some of the dynamics in the sound - quick, super quick, super-super quick - are right on point.

    ReplyDelete